Hello FCE students. How are you doing in the lockdown?
It’s been a while now since the last time you visited us. Here we are with new and interesting content for you. This time a Webquest! In a webquest you have to follow clues and do some research on the internet in order to widen your world of knowledge. So, do it at your own pace and enjoy it.
Activity 1: William Shakespeare: An introduction to his life
Read the biography of Shakespeare below, and try to complete the missing information.
Then, visit the link here below to find the correct information and complete the short biography.
Shakespeare is England’s most famous dramatist and _____________________. His plays are
known throughout the world, and he introduced up to 300 _____________________ and dozens
of _____________________ into the English language.
He was born in _____________________ -_____________________ -_____________________ in the
year __________________. He probably went to the local _____________________ school, King
Edward VI’s School, where he learnt Greek and _____________________ . He didn’t go to
In 1582, he married _____________________ _____________________ , who was three months
_____________________ . In total, they had _____________________ children.
He left Stratford to go and live in _____________________ , working as a playwright and
_____________________. He performed many times for Queen _____________________
Shakespeare’s group built their own theatre called the _____________________ . By now,
Shakespeare was very rich. He bought the _____________________ _____________________ house
in Stratford and many other properties as investments. He had a good head for business.
He died in _____________________ , probably of _____________________ . In his will, he left his
_____________________ _____________________ bed to his wife. Nobody knows for certain why
he did this. He is buried in Stratford.
Activity 2: The plot of Romeo and Juliet
Read the statements about Shakespeare’s classic tragedy, Romeo and Juliet. Some are true
and others are false. Try to predict whether you think they are true or false, then check our answers and correcto the false statements by visiting the site:
LINK: Romeo and Juliet
1. The plot of Romeo and Juliet is based on a French tale.
2. Shakespeare created the supporting characters Mercutio and Paris.
3. The play is believed to have been written between 1581 and 1585.
4. The play is set in Venice, Italy.
5. It begins with a street fight between Montague and Capulet servants.
6. Romeo first sees Juliet at a ball in the Montague house.
7. With the help of Benvolio, they are secretly married the next day.
8. Romeo kills Juliet’s cousin, Tybalt, in revenge for his killing Romeo’s close friend and
9. For the execution, Romeo is exiled from Verona.
10. Before he leaves, he secretly spends the night with Juliet.
11. Juliet’s mother offers her a drug that will put her into a coma for ‘two and forty hours’ on
the night before her planned wedding to Paris.
12. When she is found, she is believed to be dead.
13. Romeo buys a gun to kill himself when he hears the news.
14. At the crypt where Juliet’s body has been laid, Romeo is met by Paris.
15. Romeo kills Paris before drinking the poison.
16. When Juliet awakens from her deep sleep, she realizes Romeo is dead and, panicking, she
Activity 3: Boy players
Visit the link below and find out about boy players by reading the ‘Boys in
adult companies’ and ‘Boys playing female roles’ sections. Then answer the questions below.
LINK: Boy players link