Here are two words that are very often confused: Tell & Say. Here are some ways for you to remember when to use which.
Tell means ¨to give information to a person¨ so the word tell or told is always followed by a person.
- Tell me about the movie
- Did you tell Maria about what happened?
- The police told us that everything was under control.
With Say or said we use these structures
- Say (something)
- Say that (something)
- Say (something) to (a person)
- ¨(something)¨a person said
- Frank says he doesn’t like cake.
- She said that the new academy was great
- What did Bob say to you?
- ¨You look lovely today¨said Iago.
Hope this was helpful!